What goes better with chili than corn bread? Since I made the Chipotle Chicken Chili, I *had* to come up with a corn bread to serve it with. To be honest, I’m not sure this Cheddar Corn Bread quite qualifies as corn bread so much as it is a corn cake. In my quest for a light, moist, sweet corn bread, I substituted butter for oil. The result: a crumble that is cake-like in nature, but is decidedly NOT dry.
The cheddar in the corn bread is ample – providing more depth of flavor and some additional salt to balance out the sweet. And all of it complements the heat of the Chipotle Chicken Chili really nicely. This is not the corn bread with which to mop up the remains of your chili, but it is the corn bread to crumble on top, or nibble on the side. The Kenaley taste team gave it a “10” for flavor!
Cheddar Corn Bread
1 cup corn meal
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 stick butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until blended.
4. Fold in grated cheddar cheese.
5. Pour batter into greased 8×8 pan and bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.